Subject Leader: Robert Strain
Exam Board: Edexcel / Pearson
Course Title: BTEC First Award
Assessments: 25% External Exam (Online) & 75% Internal Coursework
About BTEC Sport
This course comprises of mainly classroom based lessons with practical sessions built into modules to highlight the application of the theory topics covered. Students will need to demonstrate a high practical knowledge of areas based around the ‘non-playing aspects of sport’ (e.g. leadership, officiating and coaching) and also be prepared to commit time to enhancing their theoretical knowledge of sport via classroom based lessons and the completion of assignment type tasks.
The Aim of BTEC Sport
The Edexcel BTEC Level 1/Level 2 First Award in Sport has been developed in the sport sector to:
* Encourage personal development through practical participation and performance in a range of sports and exercise activities.
* Give learners a wider understanding and appreciation of health-related fitness, sports and exercise through selection of optional specialist units
* Encourage learners to develop their people, communication, planning and team-working skills by having the opportunity to select from optional generic units available in the qualification structure.
* Give learners the opportunity to develop a range of skills and techniques, personal skills and attributes essential for successful performance in working life.
* On completion of the BTEC course, learners the opportunity to enter employment in the sport and active leisure sector or to progress to other vocational qualifications such as the Edexcel BTEC Level 3 Nationals in Sport and Sport and Exercise Sciences or on to GCE AS or A level.